Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Why Pacific? - Sydney's Story





Name: Sydney
Major: Sociology
Year: Sophomore
Hometown: Sacramento, CA

What was your college search like?
Difficult. I was overwhelmed with the idea of leaving my family and everything that was familiar. I was unsure of what I wanted, so naturally I applied to 14 different schools all up and down the west coast. I was accepted to 11 of the 14, and began touring schools that were in my top 5. Pacific was the last school I was set to tour, and I instantly fell in love. 

How did you hear about Pacific University?
I heard about Pacific through a private career counselor that I had worked with to help me with the college process. She highly recommended Pacific and thought it would be a perfect fit for me. After going through Pacific's website and seeing what they offered to assist with my long term goals, I decided to apply. 


What was your first Pacific visit like?
My first visit was two weeks before Decision Day (May 1st). I was lost in the decision process, but once I arrived on campus, I was welcomed by the admissions staff and immediately felt at home. This was the first time at any of the schools that I had toured where someone actually sat down with me and discussed how the school fits into the vision for my future. For the first time, I was not just another student looking at the school, I was Sydney--the girl looking for a new home.

Why Pacific?
I wanted small class sizes, hands on learning, a motivated student body, and a family oriented campus life…Pacific had it all! 

Are you happy with your college choice?
I am extremely happy that I chose Pacific! I could not imagine my life anywhere else. Pacific has provided me with so many opportunities to find my true self, find what I am passionate about, and learn about the world from a different perspective. 

What are you involved in at Pacific?
I am a campus tour guide, CASBE member (student panel that speaks at prospective events), Freshman Year Seminar Mentor, and an admissions office assistant. I am really passionate about helping students find their way here at Pacific!

What are you planning on doing with the rest of your time at Pacific?
In my future here at Pacific, I hope that I will continue to challenge myself, build my resume, and work with professors on research opportunities. Also, I hope to build more lasting relationships with both faculty and staff here at Pacific. 

What are your plans after Pacific?
Being a sociology major, I have lots of doors open to me and I am not quite ready to close any yet. I am interested in marketing for non-profits. I want to work with people and make the world a better place. 




No comments:

Post a Comment